Friday, May 1, 2009

Readers as Writers, & vice versa

What came first, the writer or the reader?

After conducting a couple interviews, it would appear that there is a general consensus in terms of advice for aspiring writers: read. So of course it comes as no surprise that most of us who write also love to read.

But does that also hold true inversely? Just out of curiousity, how many of you book bloggers out there also write (prose, poetry, song lyrics, journalism, diary entries, etc. anything at all)?

I've also been wondering (and the fact that I'm currently in the midst of The Chosen One, by Carol Lynch Williams, may or may not have anything to do with it) some other questions, especially since a few days ago, a spam filter question on a contest asked something along the lines of if you could only choose one, who you rather have writing or reading?

I'd originally had a couple other concepts up for discussion, but alas, SAT cramming seems to really fry the brain. ;) It would be great to see what other people think of this.

Just to sum up, for those skimming, and feel free to interpret them however you like:

~Writers, do you all read?
~Readers, do you write as well?
~If you could only have one, reading or writing, which would it be/why?
~Anything else you'd like to add ;)

5 comments:

Emilia Plater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emilia Plater said...

I'm a writer, and I don't read nearly enough. Partly because I'm disastrously picky - might have something to do with that writer-editor brain - and mostly because I'm just way too lazy to go find a book when there's chapters too write or, more often, internet to be surfed. haha. But don't get me wrong - despite all that, I really love reading and always have. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a writer that doesn't read at all - we read to find out what we like, to find the things that influence our own writing, to peer into the minds of other writers and even just form an eye for the business.

If I had to pick between writing and reading, I'd pick reading in a second. Maybe it goes back to the laziness thing... I'd love to be a writer, but there's no way I'm giving up my right to curl up in a comfy chair on a rainy afternoon with a much-read Harry Potter book or the new hit YA novel everyone's raving about. :D

Diana Dang said...

I'm also a writer. I roleplay through writing. You never know what the other person will write next so it's interesting.

Julia said...

Aww thank you :D
And yes, i looove photography!!! Maybe i will be a photographer or something, haha xD

Maggie said...

I am first and foremost a reader, but also love to write and hope to publish a book someday, although, if I had to choose, I would take reading over writing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...