Saturday, January 31, 2009

Motivate Me, Muse!

The other morning, I tried vermicelli instant noodles for the very first time. I mean, I hadn't even realized they existed. It was brunch - I was hungry - the noodles were actually quite spicy. But then again, I don't have a particularly high spicyness tolerance either. ;) So of course, it was accompanied by a nice glass of milk, which I have found works wonders against spicy attacks! Well, better than water, anyway.

After a while, my mouth was pretty much numb. But they were still quite good :D Try some sometime. That reminds me, actually - quick question: is it actually true that university students consume larger amounts of instant noodles (or ramen)?

So - NaNoWriMo '08 had been for me, to put it bluntly, a pretty epic fail. (Curse you, IB!) I only managed to write on seven nights, churning out approximately 9,600 words.

And today - although I suppose this has been stewing for a while - I got the urge to resume working on this project. Which I have given the temporary working title of The Kevlar Moustache.

No, really.

Haha, don't worry, it's not about moustaches, especially ones made out of kevlar. But in all seriousness, I really do hope that this isn't just another false alarm. I mean, how many half-written stories have I started only to abandon half way through in favour of "better" ideas?

The alternating feelings of "maybe this is actually half-decent" and "who am I kidding? This is utter crap!" are really hard to keep at bay. Especially once the initial excitement, the novelty of the idea, has worn off.

For NaNoWriMo, they recommend that participants tell as many people as possible about the fact that they're trying to write a novel, sort of to provide a self-conscious sort of motivation. Well, I guess I'm telling the World Wide Web - or at least, my little corner of it, in the form of those of you who drift by ;) (Psst, if I don't mention my progress on TKM for a while, prod me about it, 'mkay?)

I also registered Absolute Write Water Cooler (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/) today, so hopefully that'll help too. Keep your fingers crossed guys!

Tomorrow's a new day, the start of a new month. Cheers.

7 comments:

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

Kevlar Moustache. That's awesome.

I think what helped me to reach the end of my book was sub-plots. I like them much more than outlines. I mean, with outlines you have to think of every major event in the book and what order they'll happen in before you even get to start the first chapter. But with just sub-plots, you have all your major events set out, and if you don't use them all up in the first half, it's nearly impossible to get stuck because you're just out of ideas.

Anyway, this comment has gotten waaay too long. :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's true that the university students eat more instant noodles because usually university students live far from their parents so they'll have to depend on their own for food and well usually the food that's within reach for them is instant noodles. Plus, it's easier to make. (hassle-free!)

Kevlar moustache? LOL, I thought it was literally about moustaches before I read on. My brother saw the picture and he even say "hey, my dream moustache!" hahaha, I think he'll be "disappointed" if you don't write about moustaches instead. hahaha, kidding. :)

Anonymous said...

I love eating noodles! We have that kind of noodles here in our country. It's called "Lucky Me" and I usually get the hot and spicy one. My tolerance for spicy food improved as the years passed, I guess. Haha.

Lola Re said...

Hey cool I did NaNoWriMo. I wrote 4 pages. You can do better!!! xx Lola Re

Maggie said...

Hey Deltay, I just checked out your DeviantArt profile--you've got some great photographs. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I would not be surprised if university students really consumed more instant noodles and other instant foods than the rest of the population. Students are always busy, are on their own, and dining hall food is yucky, so instant food is often the best and easiest thing to eat.

I don't think I could ever do NaNoWriMo. I always start something but never finish. It's a bad habit. I just can't seem to do longer works. But I wish you good luck with yours - The Kevlar Mustache! That's an interesting title... it would definitely intrigue me to find out what it's about!

Anonymous said...

...so glad you did register at AW too. :) (This is Red.Ink.Rain, btw.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...